Every solar marketer wants his or her website to reach the #1 position in search engines for searches appropriate to the company’s business, whether a residential solar installer, a commercial solar developer or a PV manufacturer.
But because there is only one top spot per keyword phrase, not everyone can make it. So what gets a first place ranking? Off-page search engine optimization (SEO) is the most important factor to increasing your ranking results.
Off-Page SEO is about building inbound links, essentially getting other quality websites to link back to you. Search engines call this authority or “link juice.” The more inbound links you have, the more important your site must be, thus the higher you’ll rank.
Link building, when done right, isn’t easy. Adding links to other websites is sometimes out of your control. Here are some tips to building inbound links:
- Create high-quality content that’s either educational or entertaining — or both. If people like your content, they will naturally want to link to it. Consider writing blogs in one of two popular formats that get lots of shares: a list or a how-to article.
- Submit your website to online directories like Google and Bing. This is an easy way to start.
- Write guest posts for other blogs or top solar news sites that accept guest articles. This is a win-win for both parties. People will want extra (quality) content from others and in exchange, it’s a great way to build inbound links.
- Research link building opportunities with other websites, but always check the authority of the websites that you are trying to get links from. There are many tools online that allow you to check domain or page authority, including HubSpot’s link grader tool.
- And don’t borrow, beg, barter, bribe or buy links. Be sure to avoid the 5 stupid SEO tricks that will kill your traffic.
Does your company deal with more than one customer group, for example, both homeowners and commercial businesses? Then rinse and repeat the above for each audience.
— Erik Curren, Curren Media Group